The nominee’s for HJ’s 27th British Hairdressing Awards have been announced, the waiting is finally over. The prestigious British Hairdresser of the Year Award nominees – the cream of the hairdressing industry in Britain were selected by a group of industry experts, international trade press and beauty journalists, and eight influential and inspirational hairdressers
The nominated hairdressers are;
• Andrew Barton – previous winner of British Hairdresser of the Year 2006. With his own salon in Covent Garden and an enviable TV career, this is Andrew’s eighth nomination.
• Errol Douglas – this is the 15th nomination for Knightsbridge salon owner Errol Douglas, previous winner of Afro Hairdresser of the Year 1993, 1995 and 2007.
• Tim Hartley – this is Tim’s second nomination. With his sense of creativity and empowering teaching ability, Tim has been consistently creating collections and inspiring hairdressers for over 30 years.
• Mark Hayes – the third nomination for Mark Hayes, International Creative Director of Sassoon. A career with the company spanning over 30 years, Mark is responsible for creating their renowned photographic collections.
• Gary Hooker & Michael Young – this is the fourth nomination for owners of salon group Hooker & Young, collectively six times winners of North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year and Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technicians of the Year 2006.
• Akin Konizi – twice winner of British Hairdresser of the year in 2008 and 2009, Artistic Director for HOB. This is Akin’s sixth consecutive nomination.
• Mark Leeson – this is Nottinghamshire salon owner Mark’s first nomination. Known for his glamorous, wearable hair, Mark is a previous Winner of Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2004, 2005 and 2006, and Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year in 2007.
• Angelo Seminara – current British Hairdresser of the Year, Angelo also won the title in 2007. He has also won Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year in 2000, 2003 and 2004.
In the British Hairdressing Awards 27 year history there have only been 15 hairdressers who have been awarded this esteemed title. They are – Trevor Sorbie, Anthony Mascolo, Irvine and Rita Rusk, John Frieda, Andrew Collinge, Nicky Clarke, Charles Worthington, Umberto Giannini, Beverly C, Mark Hill, Antoinette Beenders, Lisa Shepherd, Andrew Barton, Akin Konizi and the current British Hairdresser of the Year Angelo Seminara. Angelo was ecstatic when he won the coveted title for the second time in 2010, “I couldn’t believe it when my name was called out, I was overwhelmed and delighted – winning the title for the second time is even more special.” said Angelo.
Jayne Lewis-Orr, Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of Hairdressers Journal International, was delighted to announce the nominees. “British hairdressing is renowned throughout the world as being creative and inspiring and the eight British Hairdresser of the Year nominees, all live up to that expectation. The forthcoming months are going to be very exciting, as we have the first round judging of the regional and specialist categories, followed by the announcement of the six finalists within each of the categories. Within that time, the British Hairdresser of the Year nominees will be preparing their exclusive portfolio, which will be judged with the regional and specialist category finalists in October. I wish everyone involved the best of luck, as winning a British Hairdressing Award really does make a difference to your career.”
The 2011 British Hairdressing Awards is presented by Hairdressers Journal International and sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional. The winners in all sixteen categories, culminating in the premier accolade, British Hairdresser of the Year 2011, will be announced at a fantastic star studded awards ceremony and dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel, a JW Marriott Hotel, Park Lane, London on Monday 28th November 2011.